Monday, May 16, 2011

Training the Brain

I took out a one-month subscription to Lumosity, that site that promises to improve one's mental function by means of little games. God knows I can use it. My brain is a shambles. We'll see whether their program actually does me any good.

First thing they do is ask some questions about one's lifestyle. Mine is pretty dull, no smoking, no drinking, moderate-to-low amount of exercise. Okay, I sit too much, but they didn't ask me that. Then one plays a couple of their little games to get rated on various mental skills. Then they send an email with one's recommendations and ratings. All this is free, by the way, in case you feel like indulging. You have to give them your contact info first, of course, so that later on they can hound you or shame you into signing up for the paid course.

My lifestyle was okay with them except for a few things. I wasn't taking on enough new challenges to suit them, and I wasn't regularly training my brain. I can understand how that would bother them. But one thing they found fault with puzzled me:

You're drinking a moderate amount of coffee or tea. Improve this.

At first I thought, Yes! I will increase my caffeine consumption. It's bound to make me feel more alert. In the immortal words of my father, if a little is good, a lot is better. But on closer examination I discovered that they actually wanted me to stop drinking coffee.

Give up coffee, my last vice? Never! Without caffeine I would spend my whole life in a total stupor. Maybe what they say is true, though. Maybe coffee ultimately makes me stupider, the way cigarettes ultimately make a smoker more nervous, craving nicotine to calm his nerves. I might try that. In some other life. If I do I'll let you know how it works out. Don't hold your breath, though, waiting for me to stop drinking coffee. I'm pretty sure it would be bad for your brain function.

3 comments:

Catherine Stine said...

Oh, lord, I could never give up coffee! I do a sort of creative visualization meditation every morning about 15 minutes after I wake, when I'm still half conscious and relaxed. Works really well for a few things: focusing in on plot and story that I'll be working on that day, providing my body and brain with lots of oxygen and energy, laying aside extraneous riff-raff.

Kate Gallison said...

Sounds like a plan, Catherine. What I'm doing at that hour is swilling coffee and reading the morning paper, with mixed results in the brain-health department, the news being what it is.

Lindsay said...

They didn't ask you about the mental exercise of singing alto in our choir!

And I thought now coffee and tea are supposed to be good for you -- all those antioxidants! I'm holding on to that one.

See you at choir practice! (And coffee hour later.)